Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

REAL Fast Food - Chipotle

I can honestly say that I have eaten my share of fast food in my life -McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Chick-Fil-A, White Castle, etc. I was introduced to Chipotle a few years ago when they first opened in Atlanta. From the first time I experienced the food, I was hooked! So much so that I literally eat there almost every week (I heading there for lunch today), sometimes more. And judging by the long line that is always in place whenever I go there, I am obviously not the only one who finds their fare to be far and above what is offered at other restaurants (both fast food and casual dining alike).

So, imagine my delight when I began my quest to eat only real food - grass-fed and pastured meats, local produce, organic, etc., to learn that Chipotle only uses grass-fed and pastured meats!!!!! AND they also use organic, local and family farms for the majority of their products. Not only does their food taste excellent, is healthy and good for you, they support local farms in the cities where they are located. That's a Win, Win, Win in my book!!! Check out their Food With Integrity page for more information.

So, what can you expect at Chipotle? Four freshly made salsas, guacamole, black and pinto beans, grilled green peppers and onions, chopped romaine lettuce, cheese and sour cream from cows without anibiotics and hormones, cilantro-lime rice and chips freshly made every day with a hint of lime and kosher salt - yummy! And my very favorite part is that all of the food is freshly prepared at the location daily. Nothing made in a factory, shipped in, opened and poured into a container to heat. Classic culinary techniques - not shortcuts! That must be why it tastes so good! Don't take my word for it, get out there and try it for yourself!

As an aside, the most shocking thing to me about Chipotle is that they are owned by the largest contributor of empty calories in the fast food world - McDonald's. I would rather starve than eat the science experiments that McDonald's calls "food". Wonder what I'm talking about...check out this photo comparing a newly purchased McDonald's hamburger with one that is 12 years old (the one on the right was purchased in 2008 and the one on the left was purchased in 1996). See the full story here.


Photo Source:
Karen Hanrahan

No comments:

Post a Comment